about > management team > consulting team > support team > locations > careers > organizations > giving back
ALMnetwork management team
team with audit, banking, brokerage, consulting, and Wall Street background
Fred Poorman, Jr. CFA, Managing Principal: 25+ years experience
- current projects include model validation, integrated market, liquidity, and credit risk model implementation, and Fair Value analyses
- previously, started and managed two ALM consultancies, consulted with Morgan Stanley on fixed income fund design, bond sales (Deutsche Bank), and regional bank ALM management
- Fred has presented at seminars on risk management topics to bankers and regulators in the U.S., Europe, and Africa and was the Conference Chair at both ALM USA and ALM Europe.
- Editorial Board of Bank Asset/Liability Management monthly
- Fred has a B.S. and M.S. in Finance from the University of Florida and Florida International University, respectively, with additional postgraduate studies at Johns Hopkins.
- current ringtone: Summertime, (John Coltrane version)
Larry Poppert, CPA, Managing Principal: 20+ years experience.
- current projects include ALCO reporting, and policy review
- He also manages the Accounting & Administrative functions of the firm
- previously, banking background includes CFO, SVP/Finance, and Controller of community banks, and external audit (regional firm)
- Larry has a B.S. in Accounting from Temple University.
- current ringtone: "Kashmir", Led Zeppelin
Michael Van Zandt, CPA, Principal: 20+ years experience
- current projects include ALCO reporting, ALM model validation and Fair Value analyses
- previously, Managing Director of ALCO consulting firm, community and regional bank experience in accounting and ALM management.
- Mike has a B.S. in Business & Economics and an M.B.A. from Rutgers University.]
- current ringtone: Theme from Monty Python’s Flying Circus
Leonard Matz, Principal: 30+ years experience
- current ALMnetwork projects include liquidity policy and process review, and ALCO-related policy reviews
- his current clients include FFIEC, GSEs, and global banks
- previously, Director of IRR and Liquidity Consulting (Bancware and Kamakura), author of leading books on ALM and Liquidity, bank COO and Fed examiner – Leonard has presented at seminars on risk management topics to bankers and regulators in the U.S., Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and South America.
- He has coordinated dozens of global liquidity conferences for Risk Magazine/Incisive Media and Euromoney.
- Leonard is the author of several books including “Liquidity Risk Measurement and Management: A practitioner’s guide to global best practices“, which was published by John Wiley & Sons in 2007 and “Self-Paced Asset/Liability Management Training” published by Sheshunoff
Trina LaRocco, CPA, Managing Director: 20 years’ experience
- current projects include marketing management, Fair Value analyses, and valuation team (pre- and post-M&A)
- previously, external audit/M&A (Price Waterhouse), Region Manager (IPS-Sendero/Fiserv), and Account Manager (regional accounting firm)
- Trina has a Bachelors in Accounting from the University of Georgia and a Masters in Accounting from the University of Mississippi
- current ringtone: Beyoncé’s Irreplaceable
real world solutions >
real time ALCO reporting? Over the past few years, there have been days with historically high interest rate volatility. After several such days, the management of Sample Bank believed their annual budget was no longer accurate.
Working with the ALMnetwork, Sample Bank produced forecasts based on rates “as of” the prior days’ close. While not exactly “real-time” reporting, next day reporting was useful to the management of Sample Bank in comprehending their new earnings position, formulating new tactics and strategies, and fine-tuning their pricing.